Sunday, July 26, 2009

An update on the lack of updates


So, I've been having trouble keeping to my informal every-other-day deadlines here on the HH recently, and I suppose I apologize for that. Those of you who know me know this has been a rather busy few days. In short -- I'm moving, having car trouble and was recently robbed and thrown in a Tijuana prison, only to escape with the help of my new friend: Paco Gonzalez Stereotypico. 

By this time next week I'll have everything ironed out. In the meantime, I'm working on an entry about a weird experience I had years ago on the set of a student movie. Since it's one of the only tangible movie experiences I have, I hope it's a barn burner.

As for this particular entry, I thought I would share my, uh, thoughts on the two movies I saw tonight: The Hangover and Public Enemies

Why two movies, you ask (or perhaps you didn't)? Well, I went to the movies without checking the times first, and the movie I wanted to see (Public Enemies) didn't start for two hours, and a movie I was kind of interested in seeing (The Hangover) was starting right then. 

Voila! 

So The Hangover is the story of four stereotypes who've somehow become friends (there's the bland guy, the weird guy, the henpecked guy and the go-with-the-flow guy). In the movie, the bland guy is getting married, and he and the rest of the guys go to Vegas to celebrate. When they wake up the morning after, none of them can remember what happened the night before, and the bland guy is gone. The movie follows the other three guys as they try to piece together what happened and find their friend. Along the way they have to deal with an angry naked Chinese guy, a wedding chapel, a tiger, Mike Tyson and Heather Graham's right tit. 

My verdict: It's a funny movie. Sure, the guys get drunk in Vegas; havoc ensues movie has been done before, but The Hangover wisely avoids that part to focus on the hellish aftermath. I'd call it a definite rental. Though, you know, watch out for multiple scenes featuring overweight man-ass. 

Public Enemies, directed by Michael Mann and starring Johnny Depp as John Dillinger, was not as good. The movie follows Dillinger as he stages a prison break to the moment he's shot through the back of the head outside the Biograph Theater in Chicago. However, though Dillinger was by all accounts a publicity conscious, supremely charming man, in the movie he's written and played incredibly flat. Dillinger simply isn't interesting, and his relative blandness makes the movie somewhat tedious in comparison to somewhat similar movies like Scarface, Bonnie and ClydeButch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Mann's own Heat. This is too bad, because the movie is staged and shot incredibly well. 

My verdict: Rent White Heat instead. 

So there it is. A completely humorless blog entry. Oh, well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment