Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ah, those magical words!


FADE OUT:

It's the last words you type in a screenplay. The finish line. The thing that indicates the bastard first draft is over, and at least in some sense, you whipped it. 

Well, I reached that mystical landmark today. At, well, about 1:46 am Central Time, two months and five days after I started. 

And yeah, it feels good. As Al Pacino's character asks in Glengarry Glen Ross: "You ever take a dump that made you feel you just slept for 12 hours?" 

Well, this screenplay is that dump. Of course, it still needs a lot of work. Ernest Hemingway once said that "the first draft of everything is shit." So yeah, I've got a lot of polishing to do. Hopefully more polishing than Ernest did, since even his rewrites were shit. 

But man alive, at least it's lashed together in some form. In the midst of this swirling, ridiculous thing I call my life, here at last is an unmitigated triumph. 

Good day sir. 

Photobucket

3 comments: