Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Salute (sort-of)


Here's an obvious question: you're walking along a beach and you see a sandcastle. Is your urge a) to preserve it, or b) to step on it? 


"Hi, mommy! Aren't you glad you gave up your career to raise me?"

Haha! Of course I'm kidding! The answer is "B". We all have the urge to step on it. By which I mean: if you're sort of shaking your head now and don't know what I'm talking about, then there's something seriously wrong with you. Check yourself into a hospital, pending a brain transplant (though you'd probably find yourself behind the kid in the above picture on the list). 

Rhetorically, the urge isn't that different. It's a lot easier to make fun of something than it is to show enthusiasm for it, especially in today's "too cool for school" culture. I count myself as guilty of this as anyone. A quick read of this blog proves that conclusively. 

So with that in mind, I present to you probably the mother of all movie montages, directed by Chuck Workman for TCM in 1995. It's a great montage, and features some great scenes from some great movies. 


And, well, because I can't help myself: here's one of the many "worst movie of all time" montages prevalent on YouTube. 



No comments:

Post a Comment