Saturday, May 29, 2010

Adios, Dennis Hopper


You freak, you demon, you basically weird cat. When I think of you, I remember watching you tell this story in a TV interview:

“In the 50s, when me and Natalie Wood and James Dean and Nick Adams and Tony Perkins suddenly arrived… God, it was a whole group of us that sort of felt like that earlier group – the John Barrymores, Errol Flynns, Sinatras, Clifts – were a little farther out than we were… So we tried to emulate that lifestyle,” Hopper said. “For instance, once Natalie and I decided we’d have an orgy. And Natalie says 'O.K., but we have to have a champagne bath.' So we filled the bathtub full of champagne. Natalie takes off her clothes, sits down in the champagne, and starts screaming. We take her to the emergency hospital. That was *our* orgy, you understand?”

And also this scene, one of my favorites in the movies:


So see you later. Can't say I enjoyed Catchfire, or Backdraft... whatever it's called. I know you said they screwed you over on it. And it's too bad. I could see what you liked in that off-kilter but still deadly hitman.

2 comments: